Monday, October 02, 2006

Cal Loss

Well, I think most of us kind of expected this to happen after seeing Cal blow out ASU. I place the blame squarely on the defense in this one. They play better than against BSU, but still let them continue drives after getting to a 3rd down situation early in the drive. I don't know what the problem is because they seem athletic, fast, strong, and skilled. Perhaps it's experience or youth. I don't know. But I do know if our defense doesn't start making stops consistently, we're screwed. Say what you want about the offense, but the key is the defense. If they score on 5 or 5 drives in the first half, the game is over.

I do think the fans brought it early and tried to will the defense to shutting them down. But the defense has to use that energy and be good or else we're just going to get quieter and quieter because it's clearly not helping. And don't complaing about the fan noise in blowouts. We'll be loud if you can keep it close and make the game exciting.

WSU feels like a must win game to me. However, it seems like everyone else in the conference has gotten better this season. Well, except for Stanford, ASU, and USC. This next 3 game stretch against WSU, UW, and Arizona is huge. I don't know that we have to win all 3 but we need 2 out of 3. These are teams that are not top 25 teams and we should matchup well with. We need to now go out and prove we have the ability and will to win.

I'm personally not going to talk about coaches until the season is over (figuratively or literally). I don't think it's fair and you can't tell what this team is yet. Except I'm pretty sure we're not top 25 material.

As far as QBs. I didn't think Matt Moore was bad against Cal, but he did have some drive stoppers on a couple of badly thrown balls. If he gets a slow start against WSU, I say try Canfield. He's the future and he looks ready. Plus, maybe it kickstarts the offense for a drive or two.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics