Friday, October 06, 2006

Game thoughts and fan thoughts

We've got Wazzu this weekend and nobody really knows what to expect. I know that the Beavs need a win. This stretch coming up has the Beavers playing 3 teams the before the season were marked as W's on the schedule by most Beaver fans (WSU, UW, UA). The Beavs need a big home win to make that happen.

The Cougs are now the media darlings because they nearly upset USC. They are a decent team, but everyone forgets the blowout to Auburn and barely sqeaking by Baylor. So they are beatable.

Last year the only way the defense could stop the Cougs was to force a turnover. They scored on a few of those turnovers as well which helped immensely in the comeback. The Beavs need to step up the defense and pressure the QB Alex Brink and cover the heck out of Bumpus and Hill. The Cougs can usually run pretty well, but I'd concentrate on the pass if I were the Beavs because that's what killed us last year.

The offense should be able to move the ball against the Cougs, but their D isn't bad. One guy, Mkristo Bruce, has 8 sacks already this season. Watch out Matt! Ultimately, the Beavs need to run the ball better and challenge WSU deep downfield. I love the screen passes, but you can't hit those 5 times in a row. You have to take a shot downfield to keep the defense honest. Maybe line up Jackson more often.

On Saturday the Beavs are facing a team that they should matchup well against. It's a game they have to win at home. With the defense the way it's been I think the offense needs the mentality that they have to score every time down the field. I honest have no clue what will happen this weekend, but if we win I have a feeling the score will be like 37 - 30.


On another note...

Can you be a Fan and root against your team?

I understand not liking a guy. I understand wanting the team to play better. But to actively root against your team and coach 4 games into the season with a 2-2 record and 9 games to go? That I don't understand. I've heard on talk radio and in the message boards about how some people are hoping the Beavers only win 2 games so coach gets fired. What? Do you think that if we go 2 and whatever that we will magically be 11-1 next season just because we have a new coach? Changing coaches bring uncertainty, players leave, and recruits change their mind. Change isn't always a good thing. And I guarantee this fan base will be clamoring for a change if the new guy doesn't get it just right in year 1.

But honestly, how can you call yourself a fan and root against your team? Really I want to know. If anyone has an answer post a comment.

Really, Beaver fans have been bad fans since 2000. We got spoiled that season and have never been quite the same, have we? Every season it's something. For years it's been the QBs fault. Every QB has come under fire since Johnathan Smith led us to a 5-6 record in 2001. Will we ever learn? If Canfield gets the job, how long before we start clamoring for his job? 4 games? 2 games? a season? We've had some good seasons since 2000. Only 2 losing seasons. Yet with the attitude of Beaver fans every year who would know? And you know what? It makes it less fun for the fans in general to watch the games. When the loud minority is always complaining about something it makes things less enjoyable for the hardcore and casual fan. As if a simple loss (or blowout) isn't enough. It's been 6 years of this stuff and I guess only another 11-1 season will make it let up.

Whatever. I'm going to go to games and yell for my team to win. If they don't I'll still support them. If at the end of the season I think it's time to change something, then I'll make it known. Bobby D knows what he's doing people. Let him do his job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, great post...and love the blog.

My comment is this; it is possible to support the team, clap and scream in support at games until your body hurts, AND completely dislike your coach. Seems lately that some fans are getting confused on this point.

If fans dislike coach Riley, it won't derail the season, drive away recruits, or change the vibe at home games. Losing will do those things. Humiliating defeats at home will do those things.

Some fans (myself one of the vocal ones) want more than mediocrity for Beaver football. Do I think 11-1 seasons are possible EVERY year? No, BUT they aren't at many schools...but why not at least TRY?

I (and a good number of TRUE fans) want more for the program and believe that parting ways with Riley is the first step. Bob D made a mistake 4 years ago, and time has come to fix that.

An arguement out there is 'why do anything during the season?' Well, if fans do it correctly (aka, not taking signs into games) they can let the Athletics Department know they will not stand for mediocrity. Waiting until the end of the season is too late...that is like waiting until election day to decide who to vote for. Riley will stay unless the fans (customers) let him know they want more.

Go Beavs!

Jason P said...

Thanks for the well thought out comment. I appretiate it.

I guess we may be in agreement on one point:

When we are in the stadium on gameday, cheer the team on until the game is over (the Cal game was over at halftime). Help the kids on the field because they are OUR Beavers no matter who the coach is. Basically support the kids.

After the game and during the week, debate on the calls, whether the coach is cutting it and all that. Of course, like you say, the key is to let your athletic dept. know about it. Because Bobby D ultimately has the power.

Posting on message boards may affect recruiting. Contacting Bob D never will. I've personally emailed him 2 or 3 times on various things and he's always given me a response. I think that is awesome. I think we have a great AD in Bob D and I trust him to do the right thing.

 
Clicky Web Analytics