Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Welcome Craig Robinson


The Beavers have a new basketball coach. After giving it a couple of days to simmer, I'm in the "wait and see" camp. I think its way too early to say he's in over his head like Tim said, but its also too early to praise this as a great hire. Like Ryan White, I have to say that I'm...interested.

There's a lot to digest with Coach Robinson.

* He's a total unknown on the West coast.
* He did a pretty impressive turn around at Brown. Granted...its Brown.
* He's been very successful outside of basketball in a very competitive business that involves strategy, selling, and long hours.
* He's related to Barack Obama.
* He's bringing in a system that can potentially help level the playing field and talent gap.
* He's a good, thoughful, and intelligent speaker

I think he could be a great hire. He's the type of guy who you want to succeed. He fits in well with Mike Riley, Pat Casey, LaVonda Wagner, and the other OSU coaches.

So, hey, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I don't buy anyone who says that Billy Grier or Bennett would have been better hires than Craig. I see him as an East Coast version of those guys. And when it got down to some unknown at IUPUI...ugh. Sure, I wanted Eustacy to get an interview but I can understand not compromising as well.

I say good hire for now and let's wait and see how this Princeton-esqe offense comes together.

Here's the NY Times article on coach Robinson: Coach With a Link to Obama Has Hope for Brown’s Future

I looked around for some video on Brown, but there wasn't much.

Here's some from what looks to be a Brown student... Brown University Bears Beastin!

There's more on the related videos area. Nothing spectacular.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics