Friday, March 14, 2008

Eugene/Corvallis loses another local sports radio show

This is a cliche, but we lost one of the good guys in local sports radio this past week. Steve Tannen, former host of SportsTalk on KPNW, has been cut after 10 years.

It's not like we have a lot of options in the local sports radio market down here in the mid-valley. There's the Joe Beaver Show on 1240 AM, and we can get Portland's KFXX Primetime at night usually (Big Suke and Issac Ropp). After that, it was pretty much Steve Tannen and his Sportstalk. Local radio has really taken a hit lately. The Herd went national, and what happened to the Saturday morning show on KFXX?

It's sad and similar to what's happening across all radio. Radio is becoming more homogenized and national. Music radio is just bad these days. Especially when I can find 100's of podcasts that have much newer and better stuff. I guess I'll have to wait for a good local sports podcast to show up. Anyone?

Steve was a Duck, but he respected the Beavers and would give them props all the time. He had a good balanced show and didn't get caught up trying to shock people or stir up bad blood. I enjoyed listening to him and Nate in the afternoons and I hope he makes it back on air in the near future.

KPNW pulls the plug on Tannen’s ‘Sports Talk’ in favor of Savage - Eugene Register-Guard

“To me, it wasn’t just a show,” Tannen said Wednesday. “I put my heart and soul into that. It was kind of a part of who I am."

SportsTalk silenced from airwaves - fans have loud reaction - KVAL

Former Bio on KPNW:
Steve kind of keeps an eye on the world of sports in order to fake his way through KPNW's SportsTalk. He's on a never ending mission to convince people that it's not logical to be a Duck fan and root for any team from Seattle. He and his wife Kathy are animal nuts with 2 dogs, 3 cats and Kathy runs a dog walking business. They're also lunatic Oregon football fans who have attended every home game in their section 11 seats since the start of the 1995 season. Go Ducks, Yankees and Jets!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know how to get in touch with Steve, but he should spend a few days regrouping, starting a blog and filing regular podcasts on his own.
I'm just a fellow journalist who knows that a writer's best brand is his or her own reputation. In today's media world, he's better off running his own show.
Go Steve!

Allan said...

Good observations on Tannen and the local sports radio choices, there is 1320 am in Eugene at 3 in the afteroon, but there really isn't much for Beaver fans there, I'll admit.


Being a long time listener of Steve (since he was with Adam and the other fellow back on the FM side of the dial), I'm really gonna miss his wealth of knowledge about many facets of sports combined with an irreverent wit, the style of the show never failed to captivate me. Good luck in the future, Steve!.

Derek said...

I already missed Steve when they moved to 3-5 because I can't listen to radio at work, but I am still upset that they canceled the show!

His knowledge was so impressive and his sense of humor was something I really enjoyed!

Please tell Steve that I agree about Michael Savage, who is a pig and a bigot! I am so p***** off they put him back on the air!

 
Clicky Web Analytics