Friday, August 31, 2007

Beavs Beat Utah

The Beavers beat Utah last night 24-7 in a dominating defensive, ball-control type of game. Great second half :)
Jumbo Beaver Tron
First, the scoreboard was great (except for the red tint). Very clear, very big, very cool. They should play classic sports movies after the games. People could hang out like a big drive-in movie.

The "other" new scoreboard was great too. Bright and it adds some flair to the other side of the stadium.


On to the game.

I just love our defense. I love the way we sub heavily, thus getting everyone lots of experience and keeping everyone fresh. I love the speed and intensity of the hits. And I love that missing a tackle is very rare (even on punt/KO coverage). The defense will be the reason we are good this year.

The running game got off to a great start and basically carried the team. Yvenson is such a stud. It will be interesting to see where he ranks in the hearts of Beaver fans all-time after this season. He may have an epic season.

The passing game and the uniforms (see reaction) were pretty much the worst part of the game. I can live with the uniforms, but the QBs and WRs need to get better. And they will. I think Canfield has earned the right to start until he proves otherwise (8-19, 11-19 if you add in the drops). And I'm really excited about the young guys on the team (Rodgers, Catchings, Croom, and Gabe Miller). I think the future looks bright. And the present. I don't think drops will be a problem once the QB situation settles down.


A few notes:

* Sammie Stroughter was really getting involved on the sidelines. He was in most of the huddles and was in the screen for play calling. Even if he decides to take the year off, he will be huge in asserting his leadership skills.

* Who is Slade "third-down" Norris and when did he get good?

* I really hope Jeremy Perry is OK.

* The new kickoff distance is going to be interesting. There may be some records broken this year in the NCAA for return TDs.

* Did the clock seem to move really fast? I think there were some changes that made things move even quicker. Of course it could have been due to the breaking in of two new QBs.


It was a horrible day for pics, but here's what I have: 2007: Utah Game


Go Beavs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice write-up of the game. I was there and took some pictures that you and your readers might find enjoyable.

http://www.jamesnortonphotography.com/beavers-8-30-07/

Photographs of the game don't start until the 11th page.

-Jim Norton

Jason P said...

Nice Jim! I like the photos. Keep sending the links and I'll post them on the blog.

Thanks,
Jason

 
Clicky Web Analytics