Thursday, April 20, 2006

OSU Gymnastics in Nationals? Who knew? Not Beaver Nation.

OK, so could the OSU athletic marketing dept. have done a worse job promoting the NCAA National Championships to Beaver fans? What I want to know is how come I hadn't heard that the Beavers made it to the NCAA Championships for the first time in 3 or 4 years? That normally wouldn't bother me, except the championships are in Corvallis!

So I'm gonna go cheer on the Beaver gymnastics ladies tonight and think to myself what a wasted opportunity the OSU marketing dept. since Gill probably won't be close to sold out.


On another note, I think its a bad move to start charging for softball, soccer, etc. They had great crowds supporting the teams the last few years when it was free. Now the crowds will be probably 50% as big and they're going to get an extra $7000 / year in gate revenues. Great. I hope that money goes a long way. Because you're losing goodwill from within the community. The only people who really go to those games for the "olympic" sports are parents, high schoolers in the area, and Corvallis/local residents. Maybe it won't affect attendance. But my guess is that it will. Anyways, I thought it was very cool when they made all of those events free a few years ago. Now I'm disappointed that they would take it back just to make enough money to pay for one in state scholarship. Maybe.


I'll stop ranting before I get to billboards, radio, and promotion of the Beaver brand.

1 comment:

Jason P said...

More ranting on the Pure-Orange board by me...

OSU "Marketing" dropping ball?

 
Clicky Web Analytics