Thursday, November 17, 2005

50-21...

50-21. We've got to get mileage out of that while we can. Even if we beat the Ducks this weekend I'm guessing it will be a little closer than 50-21. But maybe not, we could win 50-21 if they give up some turnovers and the 2 headed QB system breaks down.

Earlier this week I saw a quote that I find hard to believe. But if it's true, then maybe they are overlooking us. That could be good in our quest for a second consecutive 50-21 win.

Salem Statesman Journal: Injuries may force battle of backup quarterbacks

Anthony Trucks, a senior outside linebacker for the Ducks, is putting no special significance on playing the Beavers.

"The only reason it's special is that it's my last game at Autzen Stadium," Trucks said, "and I can't lose my last game at Autzen Stadium."
Whatever. I've heard otherwise. If you can't get a little extra fired up after a 50-21 drubbing last season, you are a loser. I love how arrogant the Ducks get around Civil War time. They like to think that the Civil War is no longer a rivalry and that they are a level above the Beavs. Whatever. I think if anything the Beavs were a level above the Ducks last year. I mean 50-21. Yikes.
"My team is playing with a very good confidence," Bellotti said. "I don't think an arrogance, but confidence."
Whatever. I saw arrogance on the field against WSU. I hope the Ducks get smacked in the mouth this Saturday.

Then there's this classic:

The Oregonian: Roles are reversed, not Civil War feelings
Asked how his younger players develop such a dislike for Oregon State so quickly, Oregon coach Mike Bellotti fired the first shot over the bow:

"You go to Corvallis. One time," he said.
Wake up and smell the wood mill. I've been to Eugene. It's not anything special. In fact, people like to think it's all hippies and organic food but it's more trailer trash and rednecks then it is anything else. The typical Duck fan looks a lot like the OSU fan stereotype. And the typical Beaver fan is looking less and less like that stereotype.

50-21!

GO BEAVS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem to feel you are being dissed. Why is that?

Yes, the Civil War has been competitive of late, but seriously, do you really believe that the Ducks' players or fans think of the Beavers as the game of the year?

That designation has been reserved for the gamet against UW for a number of years now. Your team doesn't even make our pregame highlight montage in any way approaching the status of "The Pick."

The CW is still tremendously important, but the Beavers have long been putting more angst into the series than have the Ducks.

That dynamic just makes your indignation all the more amusing.

Jason P said...

A) I'm just trying to get into the Civil War spirit. But thanks for giving me more fuel :)

B) Competitive of late? You mean since 1998? Or back in 1991 and 93 when the Beavers won at Autzen? It’s been competitive for a while my friend.

C) Let me get this straight. So you think a game against the 1-10 Huskies is bigger than a game against the Beavers? Sounds good. I hope the Ducks have that attitude going into Saturday. Overconfidence will bite you in the ass.

I think downplaying the Civil War makes you sound like an idiot. Are you going to be OK with a 9-2 record if you lose to the Beavs?

D) Why do Duck fans have some feeling that they are better than Beaver fans? Why is that? Why do they think the Beavers are not their rivals? I don’t get that at all. Do you not care that you were trounced last season 50-21? Just another blowout in a bad season? Where exactly do the Ducks get their arrogance?

I think I'll explore that in my next post.

Jason P said...

Lance,

Why did you delete your comment? I got it anyways. Nice try but you got wins/losses mixed up.

At least we're getting some life into the civil war week with a couple of Duck posts.

 
Clicky Web Analytics