Sunday, October 02, 2005

Wow. That was an amazing football game.


OK. So our defense has heart and can come to play. And we do have playmakers on the team. I honestly can't remember two exciting comebacks in the same season, ever. That one is an all-timer. The sad thing is that it wasn't televised so I don't get to save it for future tailgating enjoyment.

That said, could we have a blowout win against someone please? I love a good comeback as much as the next person but I'm not sure I can take the stress if the rest of our wins are going to be like the last two. But hey, a win is a win, right?

This season is a big transition year for the Beavs. Young players everywhere. Lots of turnover on the sidelines and the roster. If we could just stick it out this season and get that bowl game we could be very good the next couple of seasons.

You know what I'm tiring of? All the negativity everywhere about OSU football. This has been a very trying year for the Beavers athletic dept. and us fans. Some of it is warranted and some of it is not.

Last year's off-field problems started it all. And the negativity around those incidents are warranted. One thing that I do give Bob and staff credit for is that when a problem is put in the spotlight, it seems to be addressed and steps are taken to fix things. That's why even though I was left with more questions than answers about Rachel Bachman's article about the apparent lack of support OSU football players are getting academically, I'm glad a light was shined on the situation. This needs to be fixed immediately and I know it will be.

The place where I don't feel it's warranted is when it's directed at the coaching staff. I actually heard a group of Beaver fans saying that they were "almost" rooting for the Beavs to lose so that we could maybe get rid of Riley. I'm sorry, but that's going WAAAY too far my friends. I will always root for whoever is coaching OSU to be successful. Why? Because success breeds success. If we have a 2-9 season then it doesn't matter what coach we get it's going to be a hard road back to winning. Just look at UW. They were 1-10 last year. And even with their shiny brand new coach Willingham, they will probably win no more than 3 games this season. And they are currently staring a 1-10 season in the face. That's not what I want for OSU. I want Riley to be successful because I think its good for the long term future of the program. If Riley gets his 10 win season in the next couple seasons then he could be the next Slats Gill or Ralph Miller around these parts. Stability in a program is important.

I will always support the coach as long as the players will play for him and believe in him. Read Brooks Hatch's column on this last game if you want to know how the players feel: Beavers' victory keeps rest of the season interesting. I don't think players that don't like or don't believe in their coach would have two of the greatest comebacks in school history. These kids don't quit on anyone. Least of which their coaches. So I don't think we as fans have ANY right to quit on the coaches with the track record they have had.

As always, feel free to post your comments. Pics of the game coming soon...

P.S. Gotta give a shout out to my bros Hirota, Jake "Apes", Welle, and T-Dawg. Was great seeing you at the game.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another good read! The BEAVERS showed a lot of heart!!! Go Beavers!!

BarkBoard.com said...

I hated that I pick against OSU this week. I thought they could win, but something inside of me said WSU was going to pull it out.

It sucked it wasn't televised. TBS had the crappy Cal-Arizona game, and FSN had equally crappy KSU-Oklahoma, and the UCLA-UW nightcap. Not to mention what the hell ABC was doing with Nevada-SJSU on TV.

I saw the crawl score at 30-16 WSU and thought I picked right, but I could not believe the Beavers pulled it out in the end.

6-5 record is good enough for a bowl, but 8-3 looks possible. 2 of 3 out of Cal, UCLA, and UO is realistic. The Civil War winner could head to San Diego?

I am probably the only Fresno State fan that gos for the Beavers.

Jason P said...

I love to hear it. This team is definitely gowing up fast. I hope you are right about 8-3!

Anonymous said...

Apes and Welle? I know them too. Rolled with Welle (among others) in New Orleans/Baton Rouge last year and have spent more than one smashed weekend down at the Tangle in S.D.

Small world.

btw, nice write-ups of late. Riles is a good coach and Beaver football will be just fine.

Anonymous said...

We could have had the game televised but to the AD's credit he said screw that because it would have meant another 7:00 pm start time. I don't know about you all, but Iafter the ASU game I got home at almost midnight, exhausted, and only had to drive to Newport.

By the way, enjoyable blog!

 
Clicky Web Analytics