Sunday, November 22, 2009

Civil War of the Roses!





Two weeks ago, Arizona had to lose twice and USC had to lose once for Oregon St. to have a shot at the Rose Bowl. Two weeks later, the improbable happened and the Civil War for the Roses was set. This is the biggest Civil War ever. Sure, 2000 was big, but the Rose Bowl is the Rose Bowl! I'm not old enough to remember anything before the streak, so anyone who remembers a bigger Civil War, let me know in the comments below!

The Game


I'm a believer that in the Civil War, anything can happen. Home field means something, but not everything. After that, its just two teams that REALLY want to win.

What is the formula for beating the Ducks? Here are my options:

* Outscore them (i.e. Stanford)

OR

* Don't let them get any big plays (Boise St.) and contain them on offense

OR

* Hope for an implosion on offense and don't let their defense win the game. (Purdue, Arizona, Boise St.)


Of course, the Beavers also need to do at least 3 out of 4 of these:

* Get TDs not FGs

* Limit the penalties

* No turnovers

* Force a few turnovers


What do you think? How do the Beavs win the Civil War?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The OSU defense has to step up in this game. The one thing the beavs cannot afford to do is get more than a touchdown behind. If they do, they are in a foot race with *ucks on the scoreboard. And that's race I don't think they can win.

Now, if the defense can keep it close, then I think our offense can take care of the rest.

Unknown said...

Beaver Fans: I know that there are a lot of people out there that love one team/hate the other, when it comes to the Duck/Beaver rivalry, but I have never understood it. I graduated from the U of O, but route hard for the Beavs all year, except of course, when they play the Ducks. So the fact that my two favorite teams are playing for the championship is just too incredible! Two great schools, two great teams, two great coaches, and two great sets of fans....congratulations on a great year Beavers

Jason P said...

I tend to agree that its more about the defense than the offense. However, If the offense can bring it every drive and just keep scoring relentlessly, then it doesn't really matter what the defense does.

Not sure we can do that though.

Hey, I appreciate those platypuses out there, I just can't say I'm one of them.

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Beavs and Ducks play the Civil War last year for the right to go to the Rose Bowl? So, was that the biggest Civil War in the rivalry history or this years? One thing the Beavs do have is the whole team healthy going into the Civil War. Canfield is having a great year, and both Rodgers bros are playing this time.

Jason P said...

If the Beavers won last year they would have gone to the Rose Bowl. The Ducks couldn't. So they played spoilers.

This year whoever wins goes to the Rose Bowl. That's much bigger than if just one team can go.

I'm super happy that both teams are fairly healthy going into the game. Both teams will have no excuses after this one!

 
Clicky Web Analytics