Sunday, November 23, 2008

Beavs Beat Arizona, Thousands of Beaver Fans Pass Out

Holy crap.

There was one point that I thought we were going to win. After we fly sweeped to out first TD after the half. I thought, "here we go". Unfortunately, Arizona didn't cooperate. Frankly, I had no idea how we would pull that game out with our second string at two key skill positions. But we did. That was a program win if I ever saw one. No Lyle? We can still win. No Quizz? We can still win. Banged up D-Line? We can still win.

Was that the best snatch victory from the jaws of defeat win or what! Wow!

Watching the twitter search, I love some of these comments:

markpimentel: beavers win in arizona. one more win to go, and we're headed to pasadena. you can expect me to be there!

tixrus: @chriscoyier Go Beavers! Unbelievable finish to the game. Can you say redemption?

mattlindell: OSU Beavers - all that stand in our way to the Rose Bowl now is a bunch of measly waterfowl.

Orbgiberson: Oregon State pulled it off with 0 time left... one more game and USC is nocked out of the Rose Bowl by THE BEAVERS! WAHOOOO

jamiesvibe: I have never been happier in all my life. GO BEAVERS!

flatchicken: Holy. Sweet. Mother. Beavers. Win. With. 4 sec. Remaining. Rose bowl hopes still alive.


Looking at the numbers after this one, a few things stand out...

* Defensively, we slowed down their passing game:
Willie Tuitama, 16/22, 158 YDS, 1 TD
Rob Gronkowski 3 REC, 50 YDS
Mike Thomas 6 REC, 50 YDS

Gronkowski wasn't much of a factor catching the ball. The TD was big, but he didn't kill us like I thought he might. Mike Thomas made some big catches. And Willie made some huge throws. They really threaded the needle on some of those passes. But no long passes which really helped. And no big returns for Thomas.

Unfortunately, their running game got rolling and they kept us off balance with their fly sweeps and pitches. That needs to get better by the Oregon game.

* Offensively, we still figured out a way to run the ball without Quizz:
Ryan McCants 15 CAR, 52 YDS
James Rodgers 10 CAR, 102 YDS
TEAM 33 CAR, 166 YDS

Jeremy Francis 7 REC, 61 YDS

I was having flashbacks to 2007 with Francis looking like Yvenson Bernard out of the backfield catching balls and James running the fly sweep to perfection. Ryan McCants is a big dude and ran very hard especially in the second half. He is going to be a good RB for the Beavers the next 3+ years. 166 yards is great. We weren't as consistent as we would have been with Quizz, but it got done and that is all that matters. I really hope I see Ryan break a big run against the Ducks. I know he can.

* How about the "just enough" passing game. Sammie was the star last night!
Sammie Stroughter 5 REC, 116 YDS, 1 TD
Sean Canfield 20/32, 224 TDS, 47 LONG, 1 TD

Sammie stepped up and showed why he is the man! I love these Beavers. Sean put together another solid performance and I'm am so glad we have 2 good QBs. That 47 yard pass to Sammie was money.

``The comeback was big,'' Canfield said. ``We knew what we had to do and everyone chipped in and we never backed down.''
Amen to that.

Civil War week! Go Beavs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the heck Jason no blog on the Civil war! lol. I didn't come here to gloat, just wanted to give you my condolences and say good game! I would route for USC to lose, but that would knock the ducks down a bowl. Better luck next year. Good luck in your bowl game!

Jason P said...

I couldn't post yesterday. I needed a day to digest.

Go BRUINS!

 
Clicky Web Analytics