Sunday, April 29, 2007

Spring Game

Like many Beaver fans on Saturday, I took a break from yard work to see how the 2007 Beavers will look. I can sum it up in one word: Defense.

The Defense won on Saturday, not the black team. There were more sacks than I could count. And the official number was low because the D was getting a lot of pressure on the QB. The defense scored once for the black team when Bryant Cornell stripped Lyle Moevao and ran 40 yards for the TD. There were a couple of other turnovers on the day as well. Our defense may be better than last season. It's early, but we are sooooo deep at every defensive position in the front 7 that I can't see the other teams moving the ball well or getting much time to throw.

The offense was very pedestrian. Polk had a huge run for a TD. And the QBs had some good passes. Gunderson engineered a TD drive and Moevao was quite good in the second half. Canfield did nothing memorable. But he looked good doing it :). The QBs were hampered because almost none of the top recievers were playing after the first couple of series. The best recievers were guys I'd never heard of and the tight ends. Overall, I think the offense will be OK. They may be practicing against one of the best defenses they'll see next year.

Other cool things about the game:

* Many Beaver fans walked away with their first sunburn of the year. It was a great day.

* I got my first live look at the new uniforms at the Beaver shops and saw a few on some fans. They look pretty good. I'll wait until I can get Bernard on the back of my orange 26 jersey :)

* What's up with Serna missing half his kicks in practice?

* I loved that they had the baseball game on the TVs. Mitch Canham delivered his 2 RBI double as everyone was filing out. Lots of cheering for that. Too bad they lost with that huge 2 out 3 run HR by Stanford. Exciting game. Not a great result.


Lastly, congrats to Sabby for getting picked in the 2nd round! He should feel at home in Tampa Bay!

And I can't wait to see that scoreboard!

Go Beavs!

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics