Thursday, January 11, 2007

Time to weigh in on Oregon State Basketball

Oregon State Basketball. Anyone feel some Deja Vu? To me it feels about the same as after the WSU game in the football season on the boards and blogs. I don't think people are motivated enough to put up a website, but there is a general unhappy feeling about the hoops team these days. There's a big difference. I don't think this team will make that kind of turnaround this season. Next season, I'm a bit more optimistic about. But not this season.

I have the weekend plan and all the Thursday Pac-10 games as well, so I've seen quite a few games this year and the last few years. I'm not sure if I've seen less energy in Gill since at least the Ritchie McKay era...if not the end of Jimmy's coaching tenure. I mean even against the Ducks and Bruins which were fairly close games it felt lame in Gill. Maybe it was because the students weren't back in town yet. I dunno. All I know is that the fans haven't really been doing much to help these kids get excited about playing at home. I guess people see the writing on the wall.

Of course it doesn't help that the team is struggling. I can't say that I didn't see it coming. I didn't think we'd be very good this season. Way too young. No experienced guards at all. That's a recipe for disaster. To me this was a rebuilding year. I know, I know, rebuilding from what? Last year I think we should have been better. Maybe another NIT bid or at least close to it. Especially with the way Sasa Cuic turned into the man on offense. But all of the studs from 2004 turned back into pumpkins or got hurt. That was an unlucky year for Jay. Unfortunately, this year was always going to be the rebuilding/down year.

However, until last week I wasn't sure what the future looked like. Was there some life left in the team? Could Jay recruit good enough players to come to Corvallis? Once I saw the C.J. Giles transfer, I perked up. Maybe it's the 10-4 football season high talkin', but it feels like maybe there is a future. What does the future look like? Hell if I know, but I have this Deja Vu feeling again. This time it's not related to the football team. The 2004-05 season keeps popping up in my head. I think that next year could turn out to be like 04-05.

I'm probably smoking some orange colored crack, but could next season really be like 2004-05? There are some parallels. The most obvious is the Nick DeWitz - C.J. Giles parallel. Another is the fact that there will be some decent senior leadership and proven scoring (Lucas vs. Jones/Cuic). Cuic was really good last season and if he can find his form again this year and improve next year, watch out. We have a decent point guard who can score (Hurd/Fontenet vs. Tarver). I think Josh Tarver has all of the tools to be one of the best at OSU. I'm really impressed with his outside shooting so far (now about the TOs...).

So what are we missing? Well, we need a shooting guard BAD. Chris Stephens was undersized, but he helped open everything up for the big men down low. I don't really see Wes Washington filling that role. Jack McGillis is more of a forward. Maybe Angelo will start growing into that this season. I love his effort and attitude. My guess is that one of the freshman will do it. Either Zach, Calvin Haynes, or Lathan Wallace will be a big surprise next season.

There will certainly be more talent on the floor and a lot more experience. Can Jay do it? Can he build the team into a winner again? I think he has to. His job depends on it. We have to go to the NIT next year. The Pac-10 is tougher now. If I continue to see growth this season, then I'm OK with giving Jay John through next season to see what happens. At this point I'd give anything for another 2004. That was a hell of a lot of fun. If you can't be great, then at least entertain me with some upsets and fun wins. What were we? 8-1 at home? That was fun.




On a more recent note, that wasn't a bad showing against UA. Sure, they got sloppy at the end but we made some plays and played with heart. And the guys started to look and play better. I think Jay has to play these young guys to get them to improve. And we need to drive and dish more. Oh and enough with the 3's! Gotta get a win in Phoenix.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics