Sunday, October 29, 2006

Quotes from the Beavers huge upset over USC

Clinton Polk:

"I was so nervous I threw up. That's how nervous I was," said Polk, a junior college transfer from Scottsdale Community College. "But after throwing up I think I was ready."

"My teammates were behind me," said Polk, a 6-foot-2, 214-pound junior. "All my coaches, they were in my ear letting me know that I was ready. They just made be believe."

Mike Riley

“How ’bout those Beavers!” shouted OSU coach Mike Riley as he weaved and bobbed through the ecstatic mob en route to the Valley Football Center.

“I’m really proud of Clinton. This was a big game for him, and what he did for this team,” OSU coach Mike Riley said. “Every time you go in and produce you earn respect, and show (coaches and teammates) ‘We can rely on this guy.’ ”

Mark Banker

“Maybe early on we didn’t play up to our expectations. It was just a matter of this group jelling,” OSU defensive coordinator Mark Banker said. “Today we saw three tailbacks, six receivers and three tight ends who will all be drafted.

“They didn’t let that effect them. They believed in themselves as a group, bowed up and got the job done.”

USC Coach Pete Carroll

“This is a great day for Oregon State’s football team,” USC coach Pete Carroll said. “My hat is off to Mike (Riley) and I thought they did a great job. They played great the whole day and they did a bunch of stuff that we wish we could have done. I think it’s a great win for them and a very difficult loss for us because we made it.”

Sabby Piscitelli

“This is what you play for,” safety Sabby Piscitelli said. “That’s what everyone plays the game for. You ask for big players to step up and make plays. We made a lot of great plays. It was just intense.”

Added senior safety Sabby Piscitelli: “I told Clinton all week it was his time to shine. He’s such a great player, and he really showed it. SC, that’s no walk in the park. He really stepped up.”

On QB Matt Moore:

“He’s a stud,” safety Sabby Piscitelli said. “I think he’s faced the most adversity of any individual player at Oregon State. And I’ve been watching this kid in practice for two years, and I tell everybody he’s a great player. He made some rookie mistakes (last year) but he showed his leadership and athletic ability today. He took over that offense and made some great plays.”

Alan Darlin

“We love our fans and we love it when they love us too,” Darlin said. “We definitely felt the positive energy coming from the crowd. That was great and I hope it continues.”

On the last play of the game

“I saw Jeff tip it,” said linebacker Alan Darlin, who had seven tackles and a fumble recovery. “We knew we had the game, that there would be no overtime. It was just a great heads-up play.

“We knew we had to attack and finish, and that’s exactly what we did. We have to play with an attitude. The bottom line is, we’ve been having a ton of fun out there.”

Joe Newton

"Personally," OSU tight end Joe Newton said, "it was probably the most fun I've ever had in a game in my life."

“It’s the best performance I’ve seen Matt put together,” tight end Joe Newton said. “I’m proud of the way he played. I think he answered a lot of his doubters today.”

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics