Sunday, August 06, 2006

OSU fall camp


Fall camp is underway and I was able to check out practice on both Saturday and Sunday.

I mostly watched the offense until the scrimmage portions of the practice. Here are some quick impressions. Since it's early in camp I'll focus on the encouraging parts I've seen.

* Joe Newton looks good. I can't wait to see how he does this year.

* Wheat-Brown and Straughter both look good and maybe with Newton will be enough to replace Mike Hass' production.

* Yvenson looks really quick and shifty this year. I think that whatever he got done in the offseason (knee?) was the right move. He just looks really healthy, confident, and good.

* Joe Rudolph and Doggett look bigger.

* Matt Moore is moving very well. He wasn't wearing a brace at all so he must be pretty much 100%.


In the scrimmage Saturday the defense looked decent. They were swarming on the ball and covering pretty well. On Sunday the offense completed a lot more passes and did much better overall. The D had a few interceptions and still did OK from what I could tell.

Got a look at some of the new guys. The freshman TEs are looking pretty good at catching the ball. I think a couple of them will be able to contribute this year. The new recievers are looking decent. Not sure if they will break the starting lineup, but they might contribute. The D line has a lot of big guys. Siegert, Coker, Naymon Frank, Pernell Booth, Lee, and Dorian Smith are all looking big and strong. Hopefully they play as good as they look. Not sure about the secondary yet, but the coverage seemed better than last year at least. I'm not worried about the LBs based on what I've seen.




Photos here:

Beaver Football Fall Camp 2006

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics