Friday, August 11, 2006

Men's Basketball Previews

Yea, I know it's the middle of fall camp but there's enough basketball info out there that I thought I'd do a quick hoops post to let people know what's been happening since last season. There's some hoops fanatics out there, right? Coach John has a tough season ahead with a very young yet promising team.

The early predictions aren't looking great for the Beavs:

Arizona Daily Star - Some early Pac-10 thoughts

9. Oregon State. The Beavers have solid, experienced talent inside with Kyle Jeffers and Sasa Cuic but there are major questions about who will shoot the ball from the perimeter. If either Wesley Washington or Angelo Tsagarakis can make an impact from the perimeter, the Beavers will beat some teams.

Sasa will have to be the team leader and scorer again this season. He must be a true #1 to let some of the young guys develop. Most of the young guys won't be consistent, so he has to be. A big year for him.


Some player news:

Calvin Hampton is taking this season seriously. He should at least get significant time this season as a sub for Kyle Jeffers and Sasa Cuic. Cuic probably won't rest much, but he could move over to the 3 if Hampton and Jeffers or Hughes are in at the same time.

Corvallis Gazette-Times - Big Man Camp should be big help to Hampton
“This has given me a chance to play against some of the best big men in country,” Hampton said. “It’s really helping me improve my game. I’ve learned how important your footwork is. And I really like this kind of environment.”

[...]

The Beavers hope he can play a significant role this season, so he wanted an edge over just working out and shooting with his teammates.

“I’ve being making big improvements after my shoulder surgery,” Hampton said. “I was a little passive when I started playing again, but I’m getting that aggressiveness back. This is a big year for me to get out there and do well.”
That's some good news. I only wish Liam could have gone down there. But with one of the OSU coaches actually coaching at the camp, he should be able to help the big men a lot this season.


Looks like Lamar Hurd is healed up and found a place to continue his basketball career:
Corvallis Gazette-Times - Hurd to play in Holland
“It’s beyond exciting for me,” Hurd said. “I haven’t played a game in more than six months. Just to be able to play again is enough excitement for me, and then the chance to do it in another country, plus to get paid for it, it’ll be fun.”

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics