Monday, December 05, 2005

Article on Calvin Hampton: Men's Basketball big man

Here's a look at Calvin Hampton from the Gazette-Times. From what I've seen he will be a good one in a year or two. Too bad he isn't red-shirting.

Corvallis Gazette-Times - Hampton learning on the fly

“We saw tremendous upside in him, with the ability to be a pretty good player after some hard work,” assistant coach Kevin Mouton said. “You can’t coach 6-10. And not many kids that size can jump like him.”

...

Previous coaches just sent him out to cause havoc. He didn’t enjoy shooting or rebounding. The only thing he liked was blocking shots.

“I got stuck in that and it became a problem,” Hampton said. “I didn’t develop skills. I was just out there. I didn’t have the rebounding and scoring mentality after that. That kind of damaged me. That’s why it’s hard to get acclimated to the system. It seems like I’m not getting it, but its just so much of a struggle that I’m so stuck in my old ways.”

...

“He’s a sponge and he’s learning,” Mouton said. “We’re excited how quickly he’s picking it up. He’s going to fit perfectly into our puzzle. He’ll do anything for anybody, and I really respect the kid for his work ethic.”
For being a guy who just blocks shot, he has great balance and even the start of some good moves. He's closer in his shooting accuracy than Jeffers was when he first got here from what I've seen in limited action. I'm hoping for some good things from Calvin.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics