Friday, October 28, 2005

The Blog gets some pub in the Oregon State Daily Barometer

Thanks to the OSU Barometer for a mention of my blog in a recent story on OSU related blogs!

Oregon State Daily Barometer Online - Blogging hits home for OSU

One hot blog subject on campus is OSU athletics. OSU fans have created blogs to keep up on college sports news and rally support for the teams.

A frequently updated example is The Beaver Believer Blog by Jake Bertalotto, found at http://www.oregonstatebeavers.blogspot.com.

On the bloc, Bertalotto describes himself as a "Beaver Believer who enjoys sports, school, going to Beaver Games, watching Beaver Games, listening to Beaver Games, and pretty much everything Beaver."

Fellow Beaver bloggers like Jason Prothero (http://www.jasonprotheroblog.blogspot.com) and many others also provide extensive commentary on Beaver sports.

Aaron Pearce, a senior in biology, is a frequent reader of the sports blogs.

"The first thing you notice about blogs is that they're biased," he said. "The fact that because they're opinions, they're usually people who have a specific team that they like. I don't think blogs are a reputable source of information, but it's fun for opinions of what people think. They're pretty much a step up from just a chat page or message boards as far as information gathering."
So Jake gets top billing, eh? Alright, it's on! (kidding). Anyways, I disagree with this assessment of blogs by Aaron Pearce (here come some opinions...):

"I don't think blogs are a reputable source of information"
I think that at least 50% of any blog is just information collected on a subject from other sources. Opinions can be part of the blog, but collecting and sharing obscure information can be just as big a part of it. Many times my posts will contain only links to other places that might be interesting to Beaver fans. I may tell you why I think it's interesting, but it's still a link to somewhere else. Plus, I like to post pictures of games that I attend which is purely informational.

Blogs can also augment and support a conversation in the community. By posting comments and linking to other blogs, message boards, and articles the conversation continues. I'd like to see a few more comments. Tell me when I'm wrong or when you find something interesting.

Anyways, I appreciate the mention!

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics