Saturday, September 29, 2007

Thoughts on the UCLA game and are Beaver fans happy with the football program?

I have a great feeling this game. Sure we haven't beat UCLA in a while, but we haven't had a home game in the Riley II era. Plus, we absolutely have dominated on run defense and I really think that will be the difference. We will win 31-17.

Of course I'm a major Beaver fan so what else would I think? I just read the book "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby. Great read and it really makes you think about how crazy you are as a fan.

After last weekend I sometimes wonder if I will ever feel the joy of the Fiesta Bowl season again. Is this it? Don't get me wrong, times are good. We are currently in a golden era of Beaver football. Last year was about as good as it gets. But after a great year, why must we have a down year?

Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be a USC, Michigan, or Florida fan. Is there any euphoria? Is winning so expected that all you ever feel is disappointment when you lose. You never the sheer euphoria of beating a USC. Would I want that for the Beavs? Total domination for years on end? Does winning get old? I'm too young to remember the dominant Beaver basketball teams of the early 80's, but even that wasn't more flash in the pan than total domination.

What would you rather have? Years and years of rarely losing? Or what we have now: Generally pretty good, winning bowl games but never really in the National Championship reace. The question isn't should we expect more, but are we happy with what we have? Do all the 5-6 and 7-5 seasons make the 10 or 11 win seasons that much better?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics