Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Bring on the Anteaters!!!

The Beavers next CWS opponent is set. UC Irvine beat ASU in the 10th inning tonight to get the chance to play the Beavs. I'm glad we don't have to play ASU because I'm guessing they would have been a lot better the second time around. I wish we didn't have to use Patterson, because he could have started this game. Now, I'm guessing it will be Turpen. No problem there, lots of experience. Plus, Patterson can put out any fires if necessary.

So what about this UC Irvine team?

I know one thing, they can't have much pitching left. They have played two extra inning games in the last two games. Plus, they haven't had a day off in a few days.

Who will the starter be? They may go for Scott Gorgan. He started on Saturday. That would be 4 days rest so he may not be able to go very long. (EDIT: scratch that, he pitched 2 innings last night) They have a ton of guys who have started, so it could be almost anyone.

One question, why did their closer not get in to the first two games. He's got great numbers. Then they put him in against ASU and he blows it.

Some thoughts:

* Their hitting is good at .319, but not a ton of HRs.

* Tons of SBs. 138 on the year with a 73% SB%. Nice.

* Cody Cipriano is the big power hitter with 13 HRs, 58 RBI, and a 1.020 OPS. He'll be hitting 3rd.

* Weird. Their lead off hitter, Taylor Holiday, is also their first baseman. That might be a first for me. His .351 AVE and .417 OBP and great speed makes him a good fit. Plus, he seems to field his position great.

* They have a TON of triples. Whoa. 32 triples? Thats only 5 less than their HRs. The must be one seriously fast team.

* Ben Orloff has 34 sacrifices. Yes, he is the number 2 hitter.


To win I think we need to take advantage of their tired pitching and not walk a lot of guys. They run and manufacture runs way to good to help them out at all.


Go Beavers!


I had to post these photos taken by the Omaha World-Herald from the game against ASU.

The blowup doll Canzano was talking about. Not as lewd as I thought it would be.




Lennerton's HR looks painful. The kid should have brought a glove.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey, thought you and your readers might be interested in the piece I did yesterday:

http://loadedorygun.blogspot.com/2007/06/osu-one-game-from-cws-final-repeat.html

Best,
TJ, Loaded O

Jason P said...

Great article. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in OSU Baseball.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll add you to my list of blogs I check out.

Friendlier link here:

OSU One Game From CWS Final Repeat

 
Clicky Web Analytics